Students from Salpaus Further Education garnered six medals in the Taitaja national skills competition held in Jyväskylä 24 - 26 April. In the national championship categories, Salpaus students achieved four medals. Jaakko Ekman won gold and Jesse Savelius came third in CAD design, and silver medals were won by Verna Väisänen in horse grooming and Teemu Nakkinen in stonemasonry.
In the demonstration categories, Salpaus students took part in the tourism and animal husbandry competitions, winning both categories. The tourism winners were Emilia Heikkinen and Jattanella Parviainen, and Maria Hiltunen won in animal husbandry. The two categories were featured as demonstration disciplines for the first time this year. The disciplines will be adopted as official competition categories after two demonstration events.
Katri Vaimaa from Salpaus won a special mention award in the bar section of the Restaurant Service category for her show of steely nerves. Vaimaa came eighth overall.
The organiser agreement for Taitaja2014 was signed at the Taitaja2012 competition in Jyväskylä. Taitaja2014 will be organised by Salpaus Further Education in Lahti 8 - 10 April 2014.
- Organisation at the Jyväskylä competition has been excellent. We take on the challenge to provide the same standard in Lahti, says competition director Jorma Noponen from Salpaus Further Education.
This year, the Taitaja competition had over 500 participants in 42 different categories. Salpaus Further Education had 14 students from different programmes in the Taitaja finals. In addition to the medals, the team achieved the following rankings:
- TV and video production: Jesse Ojala and Marko Valve, 4th place
- Beauty therapy: Jonna Raitala, 4th place
- Plating and welding: Mikko Eskola, 7th place
- Painting and decorating: Jasmi Myllylahti, 7th place
- Transport logistics: Eetu Oksanen, 8th place
- Restaurant service: Katri Vaimaa, 8th place